Job Title: Managing Director
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer, CSI
Location: works across CSI locations, in the spaces and remotely
Employment Type: Full time, permanent
Work Hours: 37.5hrs/week
Pay Range: $90,000 – $100,000 CAD annually, commensurate with experience, plus benefits after probation period
The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is Where Change Happens. We’re a Toronto-based social enterprise that creates collaborative workspaces, coworking, and communities for social impact. CSI supports nearly 1,000 nonprofits and social mission organizations tackling a range of social, environmental and economic challenges. Our mission is to catalyze social innovation by amplifying the success of our members and fueling a movement for people and planet.
Collaboration, entrepreneurship and systems change are embodied in everything we do. We have the passion and drive of a tech start-up but remain rooted in the social movements of the 60’s and 70’s, and bring leadership for the 21st century. We are wildly optimistic, committed to finding solutions that put people and planet first, while being deeply pragmatic. We are looking for someone who will leverage their skills, smarts and emotional intelligence to make an impact on the world.
This is a rare kind of crew – practical, friendly and deeply ambitious. We create the spaces, animate the community and create the conditions for social innovation emergence. We believe that radical hospitality, killer customer service, and the power of purpose, joy and belonging will create the communities and social ecosystems needed to create the world we want. We are making social change and having fun doing it.
Are you the super organized one that naturally sees all the pieces and can’t help but build the plan that weaves all the people and ideas together?
The core of our business model is coworking. CSI owns 100,000 sq ft across two buildings in Toronto, CSI also stewards the CSI Community Living Room in Regent Park, and, in partnership with the Breuninger Foundation, operates Wasan Island. With these four locations, nearly 1000 members, and 30 staff, CSI is focussed on creating healthy workplace cultures that can change the world.
We are seeking a senior executive – a number two – with lots of management experience, leadership chops, and a great sense of humour. We are looking for someone with a deep passion for building systems which will help us to be tighter, better, faster and thus more human and authentic. The right candidate will love people, be comfortable with new digital tools & systems design, be able to hold all the pieces together and be the glue that connects us all. With a strong sense of communication and a deep commitment to collaboration, your role will be to unlock the competence and vibrancy of our amazing team, while providing oversight of our financial, digital and other operational systems. You get the big picture and thrive in building the team, removing the barriers and focusing on what is possible.
Operational Oversight and Project Management
- Make sure that the org runs smoothly.
- Oversee daily operations of the operations and staff, including organization and program design and delivery, community animation, IT and digital support, marketing, communications, human resources, and finance
- Develop a coordinated suite of operational and project management systems and supports that align across the CSI departments and programs and that better enable cross-departmental collaboration. This will include: CRMs, project management, contract management, billing, accounting, and whatever else we decide we need.
- Ensure that the team is coordinated, functioning effectively and adhering to all of the appropriate systems and reporting requirements.
- Coordinate regular project team meetings tracking project status, supporting group project orientation and strengthening collaboration and team problem solving
- Create CSI project management processes ‘how to’ manual and staff project management training.
- Implement and manage a CRM system for the CSI Departments
Planning and Strategy
- Be smart and strategic
- Work with the board, staff and management to drive clear strategy and planning process
- Develop strategies and procedures to maintain excellent internal communication between employees and departments
- Work with the Tech Infrastructure Team to organize internal communication and information tools such as email, Slack, the Google Drive, and G-Cal
Metrics & Reporting
- Create and manage organizational operations calendar, KPIs, milestones, and quarterly reporting
- Provide regular operational updates to the CEO/Board
- Plan and oversee the annual budget
- Support the CEO and Board in achieving revenue targets
- Establish and maintain relationships with members, funders and other stakeholders
Human Resources & Training
- Act as the Chief of Staff
- Collaborate with Human Resources and CSI’s leadership team in developing and maintaining an agile structure for the staff to have a high functioning and inclusive environment.
- Lead the planning, execution and management of strategic people management initiatives to foster a community of learning, engagement, and inclusion
- Develop, implement and monitor equity-based employment policies and practices
- Work with the CEO and HR Team to maintain and develop HR policies and procedures that ensure legislative compliance and model CSI’s values
Team Building & Culture
- Foster a warm and welcoming workplace culture
- Strengthen and maintain departmental and organization-wide satisfaction
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following experiences and skills:
- Minimum 15 years of significant experience as a leader in organizations with an entrepreneurial culture
- Experience in the non-profit and private sectors
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Previous success establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner institutions and governments of all levels
- Exceptional organizational abilities, including strategic planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting — especially within the context of fluctuating revenue sources and evolving programs and projects
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex quantitative and qualitative data for planning and reporting purposes
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial sustainability
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, inclusiveness and empowerment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in high-pressure situations
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operational metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/business infrastructure/Google workspace, MS Office
- A background in managing coworking spaces, community engagement, policy development, or any other fields that intersect with CSI’s work
- Yup! Everything, pretty much
As with all members of the CSI team, you will be expected to:
- Connect people and ideas
- Brighten peoples’ days
- Build social networks
- Create a culture of openness, sharing, and caring
- Work collaboratively and constructively
What you can expect working with us
We are a dynamic and collaborative team invested in our mission. We are constantly seeking to improve processes and increase our impact in the community.
We advocate for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of ability, age, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, perspective, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, family status, socioeconomic status, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities therein. We recognize international experience and strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until Friday, September 2, 2022. Please submit your resume and cover letter here, as soon as you are interested.
Only those selected will be contacted for further interview processes.
Please let us know of any specific requirements needed in advance of visiting any of our spaces – we will be happy to work with you on any accommodation requests.
For more information about CSI, visit socialinnovation.org.